[QE-users] relax : convergence NOT achieved after 80 iterations: stopping (Lucian D. Filip)

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Thu Jul 21 06:39:46 CEST 2022

I agree that using scf_must_converge=.false. is not the best solution if
you start with it without testing! But the question was why the
calculation stopped after 80 iterations. The default for
electron_maxstep is 100 and who knows maybe it was stopped too soon and
it would have converged at 92. In any case it stopped because it was
told to stop at 80 iterations. Why it didn't reach convergence is
another matter.

Using scf_must_converge=.false. is not that bad if you test the system
beforehand. There are systems that will not converge in the first step
and then the algorithm moves the atoms a bit and then convergence is
achieved as it should.

All the best,

Lucian

E-mail: lucian.filip at infim.ro