[QE-users] Linear response after HSE

Iurii TIMROV iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Tue Jul 19 10:33:27 CEST 2022

Dear Corina,

> I've tried running hp.x after HSE, and I haven't had any luck.

The HP code with hybrid functionals is not implemented/compatible. Do you want to compute the Hubbard U parameter on top of the HSE ground state? Note that one uses either DFT+U (typically with LDA or GGA functionals) or hybrid functionals (e.g. HSE06). DFT+U and HSE06 both correct self-interactions errors; use one or the other. You can find some discussion in this paper (see Sec. II) https://arxiv.org/abs/2203.15732

> So I did a linear response, using the ground state of HSE, but the results don't look right.

In the HP code there is a check. The code will stop if one tries to use it with hybrid functionals.

> is it correct to make a linear response after HSE?

If you refer to HP, then the answer is "No". If you refer to PH, then the answer is "Yes, but it is not implemented". If you refer to TDDFPT, then the answer is "Yes". Note that HP, PH, and TDDFPT are all linear response codes.

HTH

Iurii

--
Dr. Iurii TIMROV