[QE-users] [SPAM] DFT-D3 and HP code

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Jul 6 11:07:23 CEST 2022

Dear Sergey
DFT-D3 is a semiempirical pairwise correction to forces added on top
of the Hellmann-Feynman forces. You should be safely able to use HP to
calculate the ab initio U correction without D3 and then add again the
D3 correction to optimize your structure in a DFT+U+D3 fashion. If
this is somehow "uncomfortable", you may also use one of the several
vdwdf implementations to calculate U, dropping the semiempirical D3
term.
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Sergey Lisenkov <proffess at yandex.ru>:

> Dear developers,
>
> I was wondering if current version of HP code (to calculate U correction)
> can be used for the materials where dispersion corrections (like D3) is
> used. In the past, I calculated U correction in MOFs (with D3) using old
> version PW/HP (6.7 version) with no problems. Now, for different material
> (ferromagnetic metal) I tried the procedure and HP code died after reading
> data with segmentation fault after printing D3 information. If I don't use
> DFT-D3, it works. This is for 7.1 version. I tried different machines and
> the same problem persists.
>
> Is it a bug?
>
> Thank you,
>  Sergey
>
>   Research Professor,
>   University of South Florida

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316