[QE-users] About confirmation of ground state energy of isolated atom

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Sat Jan 1 18:08:15 CET 2022

Dear Poonam S.
As a general rule, total energies are not meaningful in the case of
plane-wave/pseudopotentials calculations in periodic boundary
conditions. Only total energy differences are, provided they are
calculated in the same supercell and with the same wfc/density cutoffs.
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting poonamsharma <poonamkaushik40 at gmail.com>:

> Dear all,
> I have one question about finding the ground state energy of an
> isolated atom.
> I considered a cubic unit cell with a vacuum of 15 angstrom. How do I know
> after computation, the ground state energy that I got is correct?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Poonam S.

> Poonam Sharma
> Research Scholar
> Department of Physics
> Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
> Mumbai - 400076
> India.

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316