[QE-users] The difference between DFT-D and DFT-D2 in QE package

Johannes Meusburger - STFC UKRI Johannes.Meusburger at stfc.ac.uk
Sun Feb 20 22:31:23 CET 2022

Hi Mohammad,

Yes you are right  'grimme-d2', 'Grimme-D2', 'DFT-D', 'dft-d' all mean the same thing in Quantum ESPRESSO and refer to the D2 dispersion-correction by Grimme (2006; https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.20495), which computes a on-the-top two-body dispersion energy. As far as I know, the original DFT - D (or to be more precise DFT - D1) method (Grimme, 2004  https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.20078) was limited in its application to a small number of elements, and is not used anymore in modern DFT codes (as a user I know it  for Quantum ESPRESSO and CASTEP). Therefore, if authors refer to DFT + D they often mean the DFT + D2 method but please check in the references of the papers you mentioned (i.e., Grimme 2006 --> DFT + D2; DFT + D --> Grimme 2004).

Regarding your second question: Many so called semiclassical dispersion corrections such as D2, D3, TS and MBD are implemented in Quantum ESPRESSO. An alternative approach are the so called non-local functionals such as vdw-DF1, vdw-DF2 and rVV-10. Grimme 2016 (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.5b00533) has written an excellent review article about all of these approaches. I know that it is often very hard to decide for the 'right' approach, especially since you don't have any experimental data for comparison. There are loads of benchmarking studies on the various dispersion corrections, so I would suggest that you choose a correction method that works well for the type of materials you are studying.

HTH,

Johannes

Johannes Meusburger
ISIS Neutron and Muon Source, UK