[QE-users] Band structure calculation

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Wed Dec 28 11:11:25 CET 2022

Hi,
it is always a good practice to look at the documentation first.

Here, you can find some answers to your questions:
https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm1487

nks:  Number of supplied special k-points.
So, you decide how many points you want in your path (e.g., 50) and fix nks
to that value.

How to write the k-point path: given that your crystal is 1D, this is
an easy task. As you might read from the above link,
you specify the units of supplied k-points after K_POINTS. Let's use
'crystal' units and let us suppose that the direction of periodicity
of your crystal is the x one.
Your path (in crystal units) begins from -0.5 0.0 0.0 and ends to 0.5 0.0
0.0. As an example you can specify
K_POINTS { crystal }
11
-0.5  0.0  0.0.   1.0
-0.4  0.0  0.0.   1.0
-0.3  0.0  0.0.   1.0
-0.2  0.0  0.0.   1.0
-0.1  0.0  0.0.   1.0
 0.0  0.0  0.0.   1.0
 0.1  0.0  0.0.   1.0
 0.2  0.0  0.0.   1.0
 0.3  0.0  0.0.   1.0
 0.4  0.0  0.0.   1.0
 0.5  0.0  0.0.   1.0

A smooth band structure plot would require a finer division of the [-0.5
0.0 0.0] - [0.5 0.0 0.0] segment.
The fourth column (that with all the "1.0") contains k-points weights that
would be suitably set in the self-consistent calculation, but they do not
affect the results in a band structure not self consistent calculation (and
can be set to any value).

Giovanni
--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD