[QE-users] pw.x, Green function method, finite size

KRISHNENDU MUKHERJEE krishnendu at nmlindia.org
Mon Dec 26 07:50:44 CET 2022

Dear Lorenzo Paulatto,

Thank you for your reply. I am replying with a separate thread. Of course surface effects can put a question mark for the approach. The following article, “A Reduction in Particle Size Generally Causes Body-Centered-Cubic Metals to Expand but Face-Centered-Cubic Metals to Contract” concludes that the metal to metal bond length decreases from center to the surface as well as the co-ordination number.

But if the nano-grain size is bigger say in the range of 50 nm then may be the effect of surface will be decreased (in the above mentioned article the cluster size is less than 2 nm). Nevertheless, I am willing to take up the study in the near future. This approach would have the additional benefit that if the nano-grain experiences a negative hydrostatic pressure due to significant volume of grain-boundary present that can be added to the unit-cell.

Best regards,
Krishnendu

[QE-users] Phonon Dispersion of graphene
PAULATTO Lorenzo lorenzo.paulatto at cnrs.fr
Sun Dec 25 16:22:02 CET 2022
Maybe one could do something, i.e. Wannier functions are not too dissimilar from force constants. But would the effect of the surface properly taken into account? These are not simple questions, a proper study takes years, and starts with reading the available literature (which I have not done)
Hth