[QE-users] Phonon Dispersion of graphene

Md. Jahid Hasan Sagor md.sagor at maine.edu
Sun Dec 25 00:22:23 CET 2022

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I have some confusion. If I define atoms in a
unit cell and then define k1 k2 k3 (k points) it will indicate a 3D system
right? If I define k1 k2 1, it will indicate a 2D system in the xy plane, 1
1 k3 (1D system) and 1 1 1(0D system). Then why would the calculation be
considered computationally large if I define 10 nm width ( rather I reduce
my system size from infinite to 10 nm)? Can you explain it to me?

FOr example, graphene
Atomic Positions
C 0.3333333    0.666666     0.5
C 0.6666666    0.333333     0.5

K_Points
12 12 1 0 0 0

pw.x < scf.in > scf.out
ph.x <ph.in>ph.out
q2r.x < q2r.in >q2r.out
matdyn.x<matdyn.in>matdyn.out

This provides phonon dispersion for graphene which is infinitely long in
the x and y plane. If it works out for some reasonable time. Why does it
take time for the system which is infinitely long in x direction and y
direction to have a finite width of 10 nm (24 unit cells)?

Thank you

Best
Jahid