[QE-users] SCF energy rise up from iteration 2

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Tue Dec 20 17:28:47 CET 2022

The energy is variational, that is: it goes down as self-consistency is
approached. The energy term that makes the energy variational is however
approximate and becomes exact only at self-consistency. As a consequence
it may happen that at the beginning of the self-consistency the energy
goes up instead of going down. Nothing to worry about as long as the
energy eventually converges (monotonically from above)

Paolo

On 18/12/2022 19:23, Rameswar Bhattacharjee wrote:

> You don't often get email from rb1820 at georgetown.edu. Learn why this is
> important <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
>

> Hi Everyone,
> I am doing a single-point calculation on a 1D polymer in QE using
> PBE-PAW. However, I am seeing an issue in the SCF iteration cycles. The
> first iteration seems to print the right electronic energy but from
> iteration 2 the energy suddenly increases significantly and then the SCF
> ends up with higher energy. I am a little confused about how to
> stabilize the SCF iteration so the energy does not go up. Any
> suggestions will be highly appreciated.
>
> I am providing the output of the first three iterations of the SCF for
> deep insights.

> iteration #1 ecut= 120.00 Ry beta= 0.30
>
> Davidson diagonalization with overlap
>
> ethr =1.00E-02,avg # of iterations =2.0
>

> negative rho (up, down):1.348E-04 0.000E+00
>

> total cpu time spent up to now is 13.7 secs
>

> total energy=-304.41586797 Ry
>
> estimated scf accuracy< 2.72932626 Ry
>

> iteration #2 ecut= 120.00 Ry beta= 0.30
>
> Davidson diagonalization with overlap
>
> ethr =3.79E-03,avg # of iterations =1.0
>

> negative rho (up, down):1.006E-04 0.000E+00
>

> total cpu time spent up to now is 16.3 secs
>

> total energy=-304.13553253 Ry
>
> estimated scf accuracy< 0.76532583 Ry
>

> iteration #3 ecut= 120.00 Ry beta= 0.30
>
> Davidson diagonalization with overlap
>
> ethr =1.06E-03,avg # of iterations =6.0
>

> negative rho (up, down):5.328E-05 0.000E+00
>

> total cpu time spent up to now is 19.4 secs
>

> total energy=-304.26340272 Ry
>
> estimated scf accuracy< 0.08826578 Ry

> Thanks
> Rameswar Bhattacharjee
> Georgetown University

Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216