[QE-users] Requesting Help With Spin Orbit Coupling Spin-Separated Bands Extraction

Manocha, Pratyush pmanocha at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 19 23:22:50 CET 2022

Dear All,

I am using QE-7.1 and want to plot the spin-orbit coupled bands for Silicon and later on, GaN. I ran a few simulations for Silicon (with a fully relativistic pseudopotential obtained from PSLibrary 1.0.0) by turning on the "lspinorb" and "noncolin" keywords and specifying a non-zero "starting_magnetization" in the "&system" namecard.  The simulation runs smoothly, however, when I try to extract the bands for just spin-down electrons using "spin_component=2" in the input file given to the bands.x code, it returns the following error: Error in routine punch_bands (1):      incorrect spin_component​​​.

I went through the archive and also tried simulating with various different keyword combinations using "nspin" and "lspinorb", and I found that "lspinorb" requires non-colinear spin vectors whereas "nspin=2" requires colinear spins, therefore, they would not work simultaneously. As a result, I can not use the "spin_component" keyword in the bands.x input file to extract the spin separated bands. So my question is: if I am using "lspinorb=.true." and "noncolin=.true.", is there a way to extract the spin-up and spin-down conduction and valence bands separately?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Pratyush Manocha
Graduate Student | M.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
[cid:f2b1f8a4-9ef8-4579-9715-844bf6b1658b]