[QE-users] Symmetry - Centered cell reduction

Fnukal Frantisek Frantisek.Fnukal at vscht.cz
Sun Dec 18 05:47:09 CET 2022

Hello Paulo and thank you for your answer,

I will clarify what I meant with an example. Let's say I have a structure with space group 15 -> C 2/c, so monoclinic and base centered. If I create an input file specifying the space group, the code reduces the information to this structure in primitive cell, which I can see in the output file by examining the cell volume (or cell vectors).

(I'm somehow failing to create the input specifying ibrav, I'm clearly doing something wrong because the code requires smearing for a non-metallic structure, but I still can see that the volume is 2x smaller)

With ibrav = 0, the reduction is not done and on the output, I get exactly what I gave on the input (with optimized geometry). So up until this point I've been using ibrav=0, because it is more convenient for me.

What you're saying about k-points and computational time is interesting. I've done some small testing a while back for conventional vs primitive cell while keeping the same k-point spacing and it turned out some structures in primitive cell took longer to compute than in conventional cell. However, I'm very much a beginner at this, so there is a solid chance that, again, I may have done something wrong. I will have to educate myself on this matter.

Thank you,

Best regards,

Frantisek Fnukal

UCT Prague