[QE-users] Blue moon ensemble calculations in quantum espresso

Payal Chaudhary pchaudhary3 at huskers.unl.edu
Mon Dec 12 22:59:48 CET 2022

Dear all,

I had a question about running blue moon calculations with Quantum Espresso.

To get the free energy profile along a reaction coordinate, we can run several constrained MD calculations and use the blue moon ensemble averages to get free energy gradients. These gradients can then be integrated to get the free energy profile. This methodology is described in the paper "Giovanni Ciccotti & Mauro Ferrario (2004) Blue Moon Approach to Rare Events, Molecular Simulation, 30:11-12, 787-793" (doi<https://doi.org/10.1080/0892702042000270214>)

To calculate these averages, we need some quantities in the output file, such as the metric tensor z, and the Lagrange multiplier λ, for each time step. In the case of VASP, these can be obtained by specifying an additional input tag.

The QE docs are not clear on whether these quantities are printed in the output, and I couldn't find any discussion on this in the forums either.
I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to compute blue moon ensemble averages with the QE code.

Thanks and regards,
Payal Chaudhary

[https://ucomm.unl.edu/images/email-signature/Nebraska_N_RGB_small_on_white.gif]

Payal Chaudhary