[QE-users] [QE-GPU] GTX 1650

Fabrizio Ferrari Ruffino faferrar at sissa.it
Wed Dec 7 00:04:42 CET 2022

Hi Antimo,
short answer based on my personal experience with the gtx1050 is: yes, speed-up is clearly observable and I would say significant, much lower than V100 or any other hpc GPU though. If you want some numbers I remember a benchmark I did a year ago limited to the V_xc  calculation in PW (a few density FFTs per SCF step and some loops on the density grid). For a small test (water molecule) on 1 MPI I obtained about 2x with respect to CPU only on my laptop, while I got 8-9x on a V100 system. From what I could see and hear from other people (not much) acceleration is observable starting from Pascal (cc60) architecture onwards, regarding 'non-hpc' GPUs.
Honestly I never went further than this, but I doubt that single precision mostly based GPUs could provide advantages in terms of performance/consumption. But my technical knowledge on this is very limited, so I don't want to provide any definitive statement.

Best,
Fabrizio