[QE-users] the definition of valence electrons of Zn in PAW pseudopotential

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Wed Aug 24 22:48:16 CEST 2022

There is some freedom in choosing the reference electronic configuration
for pseudopotential generation. It doesn't have to be the ground-state
electron configuration only. Sometimes it is easier or more convenient
to use an excited or ionized configuration

Paolo

On 24/08/2022 22:40, jy95vowa wrote:

> You don't often get email from jy95vowa at studserv.uni-leipzig.de. Learn
> why this is important <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
>

> Dear everyone,
>                I have one simple question about the PAW pseudopotential
> of Zinc(Zn.pbe-dnl-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF).
>
>               I am trying to calculate the electronic band structure and
> pdos about Zn2GeO4. But I find that the valence electron configuration
> of Zn in the PAW potential is 4s2 4p0.3 3d9.7, which means that the 4p
> orbital contributes to the electronic calculation, but actually there is
> no electrons in the 4P orbital ( 3d10 4s2 of Zn).
>              I checked the computation literature about the zinc and it
> reported that they used the valence electrons of 3d104s2 of Zinc.
>
>              So I don't know why the valence electron  of Zn herein is
> defined as  4s2 4p0.3 3d9.7 and in which cases I should use such the PAW
> pseudopotential?
>
>          Hoping to get your reply soon! Thank you very much!
>
>          Best regards,
>          Jingjing
>
> --
> M.Sc. Jingjing Yu
> Universität Leipzig
> Felix-Bloch-Institut für Festkörperphysik
> Halbleiterphysik
> Linnéstraße 5
> 04103 Leipzig, Germany

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222