[QE-users] WFs confined within the unit-cell

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon Aug 1 18:03:19 CEST 2022

Dear Emanuel,

a few pointers here:

- in the calculations, you have a real space unit cell A (whatever it
is; it can be the primitive one, or a larger one); its corresponding
Brillouin Zone B is sampled with a k1xk2xk3 monkhorst-pack mesh, with
k1/k2/k3 integers. In principle, k1/k2/k3 are integers that should be
very large/go to infinity; in practice they are finite, but large enough
to make sure your calculations are converged.

- the MLWFs live in a supercell S that is k1xk2xk3 times larger than the
unit cell A of your calculation. The MLWFs are by definition periodic
with the periodicity of this supercell S. If S is large enough (i.e. if
the combination of your unit cell A and your k-sampling is fine enough -
e.g. primitive with 8x8x8 sampling, for silicon, or - exactly
equivalently - a unit cell A double the primitive one in each direction,
and 4x4x4 sampling), the MLWFs will be able to decay to almost zero
before they rise again (since, remember, they are in themselves periodic
with the periodicity of S).

- the MLWFs will have the localization that the physics of the system
tells them to have (I'm assuming here we are dealing with MLWFs in an
insulator, obtained transforming the valence bands). They will be
localized, but typically do not got to zero from their maximum after a
distanca as short as a half primitive cell. Much longer. But they do
decay exponentially.

- an interesting quantity to monitor is the matrix element of your
operator of choice (e.g. the Hamiltonian) between the same MLWFs, but
localized in different unit cells, or between different unit cells. Of
course, once the unit cells get very far away, these matrix elements
with rise again, because of the overall periodicity in S for the MLWFs

Some of these issues were discussed in here
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.076804
but are explained better in Young-Su Lee PhD thesis - see e.g. Fig 4.11
and 4.14 in https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/37371

Hope this clarifies some of your doubts - important to make sure you
master the points above if you want to work on this topic. The Rev Mod
Phys from 2012 might be also a good starting point, with its
introductory sections:
https://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.84.1419

				nicola