[QE-users] tutorial for the FCP method

Lucian D. Filip lucian.filip at infim.ro
Mon Apr 11 23:51:15 CEST 2022

Dear Minoru,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain these examples in
detail. If you don't mind I have a few followup questions:

1) for the first case, the ESM calculation: how does one determine the
vacuum region? In a regular slab calculation, as far as my understanding
goes, one increases the vacuum region until there is little interaction
between the periodical neighbors as it were. In this case, I have
performed two calculations for 10 A of vacuum on either side of the slab
and then for 5 A. The latter case had a lower total energy than the
former. Is this normal? I have also tried a rather large 30 A on either
side, but the calculation failed to converge.

2) also for the ESM case: do I understand correctly that for the
metal-slab-metal case, one controls the Hartree potential using
esm_efield and for the vacuum-slab-metal case one uses the tot_charge
parameter?

I am trying to make that the Hartree potential for my slab with
ferroelectric layers is correct as the following article suggests:

They are using a different method and I believe that a combination of
ESM and FCP could accomplish the same result for my case. That is why my
next question is regarding FCP:

3) in FCP one has to provide the target_mu. In your example you use the
Fermi level from the ESM calculation in the first example as the target
mu in the FCP calculation. Is this the route that must be used?

Thank you again for your time!

Best regards,

Lucian

E-mail:lucian.filip at infim.ro