[QE-users] Fictitious kinetic energy of electrons

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Thu Sep 30 23:40:51 CEST 2021

Dear QE Users and Developers,

Kindly, I am new to cp.x, and in the course of ionic propagation at some
given temperature, I noticed that the fictitious kinetic energy increases at
some finite ionic steps. This may cause ions feel erroneous forces and
therefore erroneous trajectories. So I think one needs to repeat electronic
minimization after say some N ionic steps. Maybbe also decreasing timestep
helps the speed of electron wavefunctions to remain near to zero.

My question is: Is there an automatic way in the code to detect, say, ekinc
ecceeds some threshold and switch to electron minimization?

Any comments is highly appreciated.

Bests,

Mahmoud Payami

AEOI, Tehran, Iran