[QE-users] Enormous stress from a previously flawless input

Andrii Shyichuk andrii.shyichuk at chem.uni.wroc.pl
Wed Sep 1 11:45:31 CEST 2021

Dear Community,

Some time ago I've mentioned a potential problem: the input files that
used to work fine (vc-relax) resulted in very high stress and no
convergence in cell size.

I keep getting the same (or at least related) issue in PW QE 6.7,
Intel+MKL.

In PW 6.7, the exemplary stress looks like this:

        316.18        0.00        0.00    ;
           0.00       32.20       -0.78   ;
           0.00       -0.78       33.     ;

I'm not sure if my formatting persists, hence the semicolons.

There is always a row 1 column 1 (cartesian x?) component of the stress
which is about an order of magnitude larger than the second largest
component.
Also, convergence in relax is never reached, total force remains rather
constant.

This is an open-shell systems, a Lu2O3 cell with a single dopant atom at
Lu site.

Every time this problem occurs - I have an electron in the system that
does not want to localize at the dopant site and remains in conduction
band. That might be physical or not - but it should result in some
converged geometry, right?

Given the fact that this problem comes and goes - it might be related to
hardware or an external library.

Where do I look for the source of it? Which external library could be
corrupting data?
Or is it not an external problem?

Thank you.
Andrii Shyichuk, University of Wrocław.