[QE-users] Immediate segfault in pw.x when compiled on SGI machine

Nikolas Antolin nantolin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 05:48:39 CEST 2021

Having read the FAQ before posting, this response is approximately what I
expected. Unfortunately, more analysis on my part shows it is very likely
incorrect.

On the same machine built against the same libraries with the exception of
the specific MKL (blacs_openmpi vs blacs_intelmpi) library but with OpenMPI
3.1.6, pw.x runs inputs from the test-suite without issue. This suggests to
me that some part of the code is in loose compliance with the MPI standard,
causing memory issues/incompatibilities with certain implementations.

This is further supported by a full stack trace when the software is built
against HPE MPT, which indicates a memory issue with the in-place AllReduce
operation on line 253 of FFTXlib/stick_base.f90. I can't be certain that
this is the same issue encountered with IntelMPI, but it's certainly
possible even with slightly different output given application output
buffering on the machine.

Obviously, I will be looking further into this tomorrow but welcome
suggestions as to flags to loosen the standards interpretation of IntelMPI.

Regards,
Nik Antolin