[QE-users] Possibly too few bands at point 2 message in DFT+U+V calculation

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at sorbonne-universite.fr
Thu Nov 25 10:34:05 CET 2021

> > In the HP output file, I am getting below two messages:
> > Possibly too few bands at point 2
> > If this is really related to QE input file then why I do not see any such message in QE output file?
>
> I am not totally sure but I presume that this might be related to the fact that you use too many cores for your system. I think no need to worry about this.

Hello Iurii, I hope you don't mind if I jump in and comment on this.
The premise is that the Sternheimer equation of DFPT can be solved using only the valence states, which is it greatest advantage w.r.t standard QM perturbation theory, which requires a sum over the entire spectrum of virtual states. In the case of metal, where electronic occupation can be fractionary, the Sternheimer equation can be adjusted to keep this into account (PRB 51, 6773 (1995)).
The completely empty states are still not required and the linear-response solver tries to throw them away to save time. The algorithm only includes states up to a ~3 sigmas (the smearing width) up from the Fermi energy. If during this search the algorithm runs out of bands before reaching the threshold, its warns that maybe there were not enough bands to begin with, i.e. that if there had been more bands their occupation may have been non-negligible.
The only way to be sure is to repeat the pw.x calculation increasing nbnd, but if pw.x did not complain during scf about the total integrated charge being slightly off, the calculation should be ok.

hth

Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC - CNRS UMR 7590 & Sorbonne Université
phone: +33 (0)1 442 79822 / skype: paulatz
http://www.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/ (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/30EFE2C7-FCF2-4279-A941-421485ED269D@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.impmc.upmc.fr%2F~paulatto%2F&recipient=dXNlcnNAbGlzdHMucXVhbnR1bS1lc3ByZXNzby5vcmc%3D) - https://anharmonic.github.io/ (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/30EFE2C7-FCF2-4279-A941-421485ED269D@getmailspring.com/1?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fanharmonic.github.io%2F&recipient=dXNlcnNAbGlzdHMucXVhbnR1bS1lc3ByZXNzby5vcmc%3D)