[QE-users] Different band gap in unitcell and in supercell

Iurii TIMROV iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Wed Nov 10 15:02:20 CET 2021

Dear Poonam Sharma,

> Also in order to match this bandgap with the experimental value, I applied the U parameter. In unit-cell with different U values, I got a variation in band gap that I am expecting but in supercell, bandgap remains the same, no variation observed.

> I am trying to calculate the bandgap for one system in the unit cell and in the supercell of 2x2x1 and 3x1x1. Although 3x1x1 gives the same bandgap as I got from the unit cell (1.80 eV) but 2x2x1 is giving 1.75 eV. I kept the input files settings same in supercells as in-unit cell including K- POINTS. I observed this bandgap by plotting the dos. I think the bandgap should remain the same in the supercell.
> Is this 1.75 eV is acceptable.

The band gap should not change: in a supercell you will have more electronic bands but the band gap must remain the same. Again, please check that you do all properly or share your files.

HTH

Iurii

--
Dr. Iurii TIMROV
Senior Research Scientist
I am trying to calculate the bandgap for one system in the unit cell and in the supercell of 2x2x1 and 3x1x1. Although 3x1x1 gives the same bandgap as I got from the unit cell (1.80 eV) but 2x2x1 is giving 1.75 eV. I kept the input files settings same in supercells as in-unit cell including K- POINTS. I observed this bandgap by plotting the dos. I think the bandgap should remain the same in the supercell.
Is this 1.75 eV is acceptable.
Also in order to match this bandgap with the experimental value, I applied the U parameter. In unit-cell with different U values, I got a variation in band gap that I am expecting but in supercell, bandgap remains the same, no variation observed.
I'll be very thankful for any suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
Poonam Sharma

Poonam Sharma
Research Scholar