[QE-users] occupation in biological molecules and band gap

Kazume NISHIDATE nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 4 07:06:17 CET 2021

>  would like to ask if you could tell me why this question generates so
different answers.
It is partly because you did not provide the detailed information on your
calculation.

I supposed it is a crystal composed of molecules and you applied some
k-point mesh to incorporate its periodicity. I thought that the system
might be in a semiconducting state since you were interested in the
gap value. In that case, you should apply the 'smearing' method.

If you are calculating an isolated molecule in vacuume with only the
gamma for the k-point, then the 'fixed' method is a good choice since
the occupancy can be defined explicitly at the gamma.

- note
The 'nbnd' is the number of band.  You should include sufficient empty
bands to draw a nice band/dos structure.

best regards
kazume NISHIDATE
敬具 西館数芽

nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp