[QE-users] Simulated STM

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Mar 23 11:20:38 CET 2021

Dear Hussam Bouaamlat (please sign always your posts to the forum with
name and scientific affiliation)
The negative or positive external potential applied to the STM tip
roughly corresponds (if you neglect charging effects depending also on
the tunneling current) to the offset between the Fermi level of your
system and the maximum/minimum potential of the injected/extracted
electron in the simulated STM. For one electron, the potential bias
(in V) corresponds to a given energy offset (in eV), that you can
easily convert to the value in Rydberg a.u. (1 Ry = 13.606 eV).
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting HUSSAM BOUAAMLAT <hussam.bouaamlat at usmba.ac.ma>:

> Dear QE users,
>
> I am trying to simulate STM images, the only problem I have is the bias
> voltage.
> in experimental we use, for example, V = 0.3 V, but when I use QE I have to
> use atomic units. So what is the value I need to get the same V = 0.3V
> value? I'm sorry if this question sounds trivial.
>
> Best regards,

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316