[QE-users] Am with DFT+U+SOC

Malte Sachs malte.sachs at chemie.uni-marburg.de
Sat Mar 13 09:52:30 CET 2021

Dear Matteo,

thank you for your reply. I should reformulate my issue. I am not sure
how to interpret the 14x14 occupation matrix that results from SOC. In
scalar relativistic calculations the two 7x7 matrices refer to the 7
spatial orbitals of spin up and down. How it is done with SOC? Do the
entries now refer to the L+1/2 and L-1/2 levels? In this case, I would
interpret the occupation matrix as having 7 entries with L+1/2 and 7
entries with L-1/2. However, in case of j-j splitting the f-orbitals
split into 6 j_5/2 and 8 j_7/2 states.
This is the point, where I am confused. In one case I have 7 L+1/2 and 7
L-1/2 states and in the other case 6 and 8, so that I do not know how to
set up a starting occupation where all j_5/2 levels are occupied. Where
is my mistake in thinking?

Best regards,
Malte