[QE-users] convergence NOT achieved after 100 iterations for spin-orbit coupling

Kazume NISHIDATE nisidate at iwate-u.ac.jp
Fri Mar 12 11:45:48 CET 2021

Hi, Ream:

You should use smal value for the mixed_beta.
Attached is the example of the input file of your system which reached
to the first scf state at the 50 iterations.
========
    convergence has been achieved in  50 iterations
     Entering Dynamics:    iteration =     1
========
This calculation was made by the NEC's LS parallel computer at the
TOHOKU university.

Note that I omitted the nspin=4 flag. It is not the the default flag
in the noncollinear calculation.

Here is the QE manual page on the issue of 'nspin=4' setting:
 > nspin = 4 :  spin-polarized calculation, noncollinear
 >              (magnetization in generic direction)
 >              DO NOT specify nspin in this case; specify
 >              noncolin=.TRUE. instead

Also see the line 1 of the page.4 of the following PDF file.
It stated that:
 > - nspin:- the noncolin and nspin are conflicting flags, both should
 >   not be present within the same calculation

I do not know the correctness of the above statement, but you should
try this first.

I show you only the first part of the input file since the
other is the same of your input file. I can not describe the modifications,
but these meaning may be clear following the manual.

========
&CONTROL
     calculation = 'relax' ,
     restart_mode = 'from_scratch' ,