[QE-users] GPU Q-E: compilation

Pietro Bonfa' pietro.bonfa at unipr.it
Tue Mar 9 19:29:01 CET 2021

Dear Sergey,

some (trivial) advice:

* version 6.7 detects accelerators but does not use them, the actual
release of the accelerated version is here: https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e-gpu.
The two codes have been merged therefore the next release will include
GPU support as well.

* You may get a little speedup by linking fftw3, but most of the ffts
are done on the GPU with cufft.

* OpenMP should definitively be enabled and provides the way to fully
exploit the CPUs. Indeed, the number of *MPI processes* should be (as a
rule) equal to the number of GPUs (6 x node in your case).

* CUDA-aware MPI is an experimental feature. I have used it extensively
without problems though.

Hope this helps,
Pietro