[QE-users] Effect of esm_nfit and how to choose it.

Evgeny Permyakov permeakra at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 11:34:26 CEST 2021

Hello!
I ran a few calculations and found that use of assume_isolated=esm messes
with bfgs somewhat fierce in my system. After skimming the docs, I found
the esm_nfit parameter that says something about polynomial interpolation
with 4 point grid by default. This is a rather small value, especially
considering I use a supercell 18x12x30 A with ~10 rows of atoms in
Z-directions.

Am I right that increasing this value should help? If so, is there any
suggestion for a good initial value? (It seems to me that it should be
something like several tens if not a few hundreds for my system....)