[QE-users] CUDA-compiled version of Quantum Espresso

Filippo Spiga spiga.filippo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 10:35:10 CEST 2021

Hello Chiara,

Maxwell and Turing architectures are not a good fit due to their reduced
double precision support. They target different segment. Kepler, Pascal,
Volta and Ampere are a good fit. Kepler and Pascal are old, I strongly
suggest Volta and Ampere (latest being better, obviously). If you have
Pascal, it can work.

Indipendently by the GPU architecture, there are GPU SKU that are more
suitable for double precisions than others. Quadro cards are not a good fit
with two exceptions: Quadro GP100 (very old, you can;t buy this new
anymore) and GV100 (you may be able to find some but is reached / has
reached EOL). For serious HPC doiuble-precision calculation you need the
Tesla product line, A100 PCIe or A100 SXM (HGX or DGX products).

In short: don't buy Quandro cards and dont' buy GeForce, performance will
not be optimal. If you are procuring a proper HPC system, you need to
target A100 products.

HTH

--
Filippo SPIGA ~ http://fspiga.github.io ~ skype: filippo.spiga