[QE-users] scf of organic molecule does not converge

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Jun 23 20:39:00 CEST 2021

Smearing may alleviate convergence problems in any case where the latter are due to level crossing during the SCF cycle. Absolute energy errors are not necessarily a good metric of the accuracy of a pseudopotential calculation, as they depend sensitively on the details of the (pseudo) wave-function in the atomic core, which hardly affect the measurable chemico-physical properties of your system (such as e.g. forces and energy differences in general). SB

___
Stefano Baroni, Trieste -- http://stefano.baroni.me