[QE-users] Magnetic +SOC calculation

pboulet pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr
Thu Jun 17 21:02:07 CEST 2021

Hello,

Here are a few information to start with. More experienced users/developpers may wish to add more.

For magnetism you need spin = 2 or noncolin = .true. (see the manual for details)
For SOC you need lspinorb = .true.

With SOC you need adapted pseudopotentials: those containing ‘rel’ in their names.

For additional information you can read:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/pw_user_guide/node10.html#SECTION00043030000000000000 <http://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/pw_user_guide/node10.html#SECTION00043030000000000000>
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/pw_user_guide/node10.html#SECTION000430100000000000000 <http://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/pw_user_guide/node10.html#SECTION000430100000000000000>

and from Qe website one can read: 'More documentation can be found inside directory Doc/ or doc/ of each package.'

Beware that it is useless to optimize (=relax atomic positions) a structure with SOC included as SOC forces are not implemented.

HTH,
Pascal

Pascal Boulet
—
Professor in computational materials chemistry - DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
University of Aix-Marseille - Avenue Escadrille Normandie Niemen - F-13013 Marseille - FRANCE
Tél: +33(0)4 13 55 18 10 - Fax : +33(0)4 13 55 18 50
Email : pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr <mailto:pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr>