[QE-users] How to make bulk to 0D system

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Jun 16 03:51:04 CEST 2021

CrystalMaker is a really cool tool which can do that kind of thing.  It's graphical and reads cif files.  You can use it
to make a superlattice then edit out the atoms you don't want.  There's also the command-line cif2cell tool which I know
can make slabs, so it can surely carve out nanos bounded by given crystal planes.  I assume the bulk is the rocksalt
structure, in which case you'd want to bound by 111-family planes to get an octahedron or tetrahedron or 100 for a cube.
For a cuboctahedron or something similar, you'd need to make a combination of cuts.

Sincerely,
     Matthew Marcus