[QE-users] All-electron on-site density

Isaacs, Eric B ebisaacs at hrl.com
Mon Jun 14 20:07:10 CEST 2021

Dear all,

I want to compute the all-electron (using PAW) wavefunction squared
directly on atomic sites for semiconductor band edge states.

Since AE wavefunctions are not accessible to my knowledge, I compute
this from the difference of on-site all-electron density (obtained from
pp.x) between doped and undoped runs.

For the bulk Si conduction band, adding 1e-3 electrons to the 2-atom
primitive cell, I find the on-site density increases by 9.61e-4 /
bohr^3. This yields a |\psi|^2 value normalized by the unit-cell average
("bunching factor") of

(9.61e-4 / bohr^3) / (1e-3 / 275.97 bohr^3) = 265

where 275.97 bohr^3 is the unit-cell volume.

However, the much smaller value of 160 was obtained by two previous LAPW
studies [PRB 83, 165301 (2011), PRB 101, 115302 (2020)], and I can
obtain close values using my approach in other PAW codes (e.g., 165 in
abinit).

I am using QE v.6.7MaX with PBE and Si.pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF. When I
significantly ramp up FFT mesh, the discrepancy remains. I tried LDA as
well as using different doping values, pseudopotentials, smearing, and
k-meshes.

Example input is attached, and I'm happy to provide additional info.

Thanks very much,
Eric Isaacs
HRL Labs

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information transmitted in this email, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy any copies of this information in their entirety.