[QE-users] Error received when applying non-hydrostatic pressure at vc-relax

mkondrin mkondrin at hppi.troitsk.ru
Fri Jul 16 10:13:49 CEST 2021

On 16.07.2021 10:59, Arif Emre Yarimbiyik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to calculate the electronic structure of semiconducting
> crystals such as GaAs under pressure. The flow that I am applying is:
> - optimize the geometry with vc-relax, where I enter the desired pressure
> at 'press'
> - use the resulting structure at electronic band structure calculation with
> a hybrid functional such as HSE06.
> There's no problem when I apply hydrostatic pressure, but when I try to
> apply directional pressure I receive errors. I do this by using cell_dofree
>
> &CELL
>    cell_dynamics='damp-w',
>    press=10.d0,
>    press_conv_thr=0.5d0,
>    cell_dofree = 'x',
> /
Hi,

AFAIK you can not simply apply pressure along x-axis this way. For 3D
materials we have such a feature as Poisson's ratio, so pressure applied
along one direction develops stress in directions normal to it.

I would suggest using cell_dofree='yz' press=0.0 options and use not
optimal cell parameters but compressed by say 1% in x direction. This
would result in uniderectional pressure the value of which will be
calculated in the course of vc-relax procedure.

Sincerely yours,
M.V. Kondrin