[QE-users] Converging SCF for adsorbed molecules with EXX

Guido Fratesi guido.fratesi at unimi.it
Fri Feb 5 10:33:15 CET 2021

Dear all,

I'm running a calculation for phthalocyanines on Al surface. On top of
the standard PBE calculation (that exposed no difficulty), I would like
to run a SCF with PBE0.

For the molecule in the gas phase, the PBE0-SCF also went smoothly and I
recover literature results for the energy levels.

However, for the molecule adsorbed on 5 layers of Al(001), the SCF loop
(phi-psi) is not converging. At least, "dexx" fluctuates around 0.002Ry
for more than 10 iterations. In another run with 3 layers, no progress
is made after 30 iterations, and sometimes (say 1/10) also the phi-scf
loop is not converging after several iterations.

I switched to NCPP for the EXX calculation and kept the "m-p" smearing
as used for the surface, with nqx=1 for EXX. Part of the input is below,
full I/O can be retrieved at:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yTYWGrfWFUTcSkl_pXYzbOVYT9dsrXim?usp=sharing

To be noticed that the molecule (here, AlPh) may be spin-polarized (one
electron in a pi orbital, in the gas phase) or not depending on the
interaction with the substrate... Here I'm looking first to a
spin-compensated case.

Thank you for your help,

Guido

&CONTROL