[QE-users] Question rgd. q grid for HSE calculations

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Feb 2 10:41:13 CET 2021

Dear Shivesh Sivakumar
I have used a 1x1x1 q grid together with HSE or B3LYP in the case of
innumerable large systems since 2009, with quite satisfactory results.
Tests made by yourself are the best when you are not sure. You can do
as I did years ago: start from the unit cell of a very simple system,
e.g., bulk Si, and try to converge eigenvalues (e.g. the valence band
maximum at gamma, so that you don't have to refold) by increasing the
q mesh, and then double the cell size and do the same, and then go up
until eigenvalues at gamma do not depend anymore on the q grid.
Moreover, let us suppose that you have thousands of electrons in your
system. If you badly need exact-exchange to correct delocalization
errors and you can't use a fully converged q-mesh because it would
require 1000 GB RAM you have not, then you must choose the best
trade-off you can afford, and I would go for the 1x1x1 q-mesh. As long
as you discuss in the methods section of your papers what you do (and
why), you can do everything sensible.
HTH
Giuseppe