[QE-users] QE6.8: "Slab decomposition and task groups not implemented"

Sebastian Hütter sebastian.huetter at ovgu.de
Wed Aug 18 13:00:48 CEST 2021

Hi Paolo,

>      From the source code, I think "-ntg" now requires switching from slab to pencil decomposition using the
>     undocumented switch "-pd"?
> exactly so

Right, thanks.

>     What are the implications of this method selection? Is one "better" or "worse" than the other, whatever that might mean?
> -pd true -ntg N is the same as -ntg N in previous versions. It is convenient only when you parallelize FFTs over a large
> number of MPI processes. Otherwise, FFTs with -pd true ("pencil decomposition") are typically slower than the default
> ("slab decomposition").

Do you have an idea where that "large number" is? I've done a few test runs and slab is consistently 10..20% faster, so
I guess I'm below that. Probably also requires sufficiently large FFT grids to feed enough data to each process?

> The choice will be made automatic sooner or later.

Automatically optimized defaults are always nice :)

Best,

Sebastian