[QE-users] My slab system does not converge during optimization.Can you help me?

Thomas Brumme tbrumme at msx.tu-dresden.de
Wed Apr 21 08:47:54 CEST 2021

Dear Jayfe,

having a closer look at your input I'm a bit confused about some things
but lets try to stick first to your specific
problem - you mentioned in your first email, that the calculation is
running with elements other than Mn and
that you thus think that Mn is the problem.

Now, did you try replacing the pseudopotential?

Looking at the graph of the SSSP:
https://www.materialscloud.org/discover/sssp/plot/precision/Mn
I see that the pseudopotential you're using might have some problem -
even with a dual of 16 it is not really
looking good until a cutoff of about 120 Ry. Sure, phonons and related
properties are different from standard
scf convergence, but it is weird. Maybe try using the older 0.3.1
version of the pslibrary.

Did you try to increase the cutoff?

Considering the very same graph of the SSSP, I think that a cutoff of 45
Ry is just not enough for Mn.
Try increasing in reasonable steps (i.e., 50, 60, 70) with a dual of 8
or 16 for the 0.3.1 or the 1.0.0 version of
the pslibrary, respectively. If it converges (only one scf, no
relaxation, but printing the forces) compare results
to see what might be a converged value. How big is the change in the
total energy? How do the forces
converge? What about magnetization? And so on and so forth... The
standard way to get a reasonable set of
ecutwfc and ecutrho for your system...

So, concerning your input:

I know that you created the input with some tool, but it does not make
sense. You should check this...
First of all, delete everything which you don't use, just to be sure
that there is no problem. Why do you set
esm parameters, if you don't use the method? Why is eamp still set to a
finite value? Before trying some
different diagonalization methods try the standard 'david'. startingpot
and startingwfc usually don't need to
be set.

In summary, I would try to change the pseudo and increase the cutoff.
And I would clean the input. Then you
need to make convergence checks.

Regards

Thomas