[QE-users] Which pressure should I report on my work???

Robert Molt r.molt.chemical.physics at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 18:25:03 CEST 2020

If I may ask a question to clarify a point within this thread…I have always had some confusion on exactly why the the # of basis vectors is not conserved step-to-step. This is an implicit aspect to the question being asked, if I understand properly.

1.) Why is the number of plane waves during vc-relax steps constant? Why is not held to a constant energy cutoff, like in an energy calculation?

My understanding is that ecutrho and ecutwfc “constrain” the number of plane waves during a vc-relax calculation; these two variables completely specify the number of allowed plane waves consistent with the initial unit cell volume. Is this correct?

My understanding is that if you wanted a constant energy cutoff, you have to vary the number of plane waves, since the volume is changing. Why is this undesirable to do? Is it because comparing different numbers of plane waves results in different energies, such that no fair comparison can be made between calculations with different numbers of basis vectors?

2.) On this specific question asked by Mohad, I am slightly confused. Is the essence of the problem that the pressure calculation threshold is too low OR is it that you should never use the “properties” other than lattice constants from a vc-relax for the aforementioned reason? In my head, these are seemingly independent issues in how the calculations are working?

Dr. Robert Molt Jr.
Indiana University Purdue University