[QE-users] Getting wavefunctions from QE

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 05:55:40 CEST 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Paolo Giannozzi <p.giannozzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some time ago I wrote the attached piece of code that produces a simple readable output.

I excerpted some notes from
http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/phys250/modules/module%202/interpretation.htm,
as shown below:

The wave function has no direct physical meaning.  It is just one way
of storing information.  It stores all the information available to
the observer about the system.  To make predictions about the outcome
of all measurements, at any time, one has to "do" something to the
wave function to extract information.  One has to perform some
mathematical operation on it, such a squaring it, multiplying it by a
constant, differentiating it, etc.  One has to operate on the wave
function with some operator.  (The operator is a specific instruction
or set of instructions.)  Every observable is associated with its own
operator.

So I still can't figure it out what's the point of extracting
wavefunctions directly.

Regards,
HY

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>