[QE-users] Calculating U parameter for Ni in LiNiO2 using hp.x

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Fri Sep 18 15:53:35 CEST 2020

Dear Mohammad,

Your system seems to be delicate to converge. So I found that the mixing parameter alpha_mix needs to be reduce further, down to 0.05 (which is very small). With this, you can converge the HP calculation for the third q point with the accuracy conv_thr_chi = 1.0d-5 (which is still fine).

By the way, if you want to test the convergence of the HP code for a specific q point, you can use the input parameters start_q and last_q and specify for which perturbed atom you do this. In your case, you need to specify the following in the input for HP:

   perturb_only_atom(1) = .true.
   start_q = 3
   last_q  = 3
Here is the documentation: https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_HP.html
Also, when using iverbosity = 4 the HP code prints a lot of information in the output. This is not really needed in this case. I would use iverbosity = 2.

Greetings,

Iurii

--
Dr. Iurii TIMROV