[QE-users] H2 molecule moves away from surface during relaxation

Tamas Karpati tkarpati at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 18:42:34 CEST 2020

It was just my guess that chemisorption would take place (i don't know
your materials).
If this is not the case, that is, you expect only physisorption (ie.
no dissociation) then
you are already there: 3 A indeed looks like a vdW complex (the adduct).

In this case try a few functionals with nonlocal terms and optimize QE
parameters
until a good enough match to experimental data is obtained. Otherwise
your geometry
will be unrealistic (eg. too long interatomic distances).
Dispersion is also important for chemisorption but without them your
vdW complex is not described well.