[QE-users] Increase velocity of phonon restart

Antoine Jay ajay at laas.fr
Wed Oct 21 16:34:54 CEST 2020

Dear all,
I'am doing phonons of supercells that take LLONNNGG time (more than 1000 modes).
For this I need a lot of restarts.
However, each restart seems to be longer and longer with the increasing number  representations already done.
For example,
it takes 5h on 72 cores to begin to calculate the 'to be done' representations when 950 representations are done,
whereas it takes only 30 minutes when 100 representations are done.
Which means that for the policy of supercomputers that limit jobs to 24h, I loose 25% of cpu time.

I suppose that qe reads all the ones that have be already done during the restart to check that they are all finished.

I was wondering if there exist any trick to avoid this reading that is useless as the new representations are independant of the previous ones.

Regards,

Antoine Jay
LAAS CNRS
Toulouse, France