[QE-users] not orthogonal operation in dos.x run only

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 09:52:08 CEST 2020

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:39 PM Lucas Dória <lucasdoriacarvalho at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> So it is possible for a system to give satisfactory results in
> optimization calculations, and yet show symmetry problems in further
> routines?

The check that fails in your case is performed only in variable-cell MD and
when data is read for further processing. So, yes, when you read your data
you may discover that some symmetries that were assumed to be present
during the scf calculation are no longer found, according to the criteria
used to decide whether a symmetry is present or not. This typically happens
when  your system is at the border between symmetric and not symmetric.

Also, my job using bands.x with the optimized structure for WS2 finished
> without getting symmetry issues, which does not occur for dos.x and
> projwfc.x calculations.

I don't think this can happen, because ALL codes that read data from the
scf calculation perform the same check, so bands.x will fail as well.
Anyway: you can just remove the check by deleting the line that calls
"checkallsym" in PW/src/pw_restart.f90. It's a dumb check that makes more
harm than good.

Paolo