[QE-users] [EXT] Charged Systems and PBC Corrections

Andreussi, Oliviero Oliviero.Andreussi at unt.edu
Sun Oct 4 20:06:20 CEST 2020

Hi,

I am not 100% sure about the question, but my interpretation is that you want to compute adsorption energies of charged systems in a continuum environment. If you use different environ types (water and water-cation/anion) for the different systems, I would not feel comfortable with comparing the energies. You probably want to use the same model of continuum water in all the different calculations.

The question is, if some systems are neutral and some are charged, which environment is the right one? If you only care about cations, I would use the parametrization of the neutral systems (water), which gives pretty good results for cations as well.

If you are dealing with anions, the problem is more tricky, as the parametrization is very different and the neutral one significantly underestimate solvation of anions. One explanation for the need of a different parametrization is that water-anion interactions are stronger and possibly non-electrostatic (vdW) effects are more relevant. In this situation I would suggest to add some explicit water molecules on the negative residues of the anions and perform the continuum calculations with the neutral parametrization.

I hope this helps, if you have more doubts or questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best,

Oliviero

Oliviero Andreussi
--