[QE-users] Problem for testing k convergence

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Thu Oct 1 08:52:48 CEST 2020

Hello

it seems fine; you are almost at convergence.

If I understand your doubt, you are confusing with the convergence in
cut-off energy.

At variance with convergence for the plane wave basis set, the
convergence in the k-points mesh is not "variational". It is not that a
denser mesh has to give you a lower or equal value of the energy, you
are just removing erroneous contribution to the sum in the Brillouin
zone coming from oscillating terms of shorter and shorter periodicity.
Removing more terms should eventually give you a more precise estimate
of the integral.

What you have to minimize is the difference of the energy at a certain
mesh density with the ones  obtained using  denser meshes, an that
difference in your case is indeed decreasing

I hope it helps.

regards

Pietro