[QE-users] What is the difference between 'relax' and 'vc-relax' when cell_dofree is set to '2Dxy' ?

连云龙 lianyl at ihep.ac.cn
Mon Nov 30 07:42:57 CET 2020

Dear QE users,

I am trying to understand the difference between 'relax' and 'vc-relax' when cell_dofree is set to '2Dxy' in the case of 2D structure relaxation.

According to the help files, the 'relax' mode only moves the ions and the 'vc-relax' mode move both the ions and the cell parameters. In the 2D case, is it exactly the same?

Moreover, how to see that in the source code? I found in ./Modules/read_namelists.f90 that for the 'relax' mode, only ion_dynamics = 'bfgs' has been set, while for the 'vc-relax' mode, both cell_dynamics and ion_dynamics are set to 'bfgs'. Meanwhile, the iforceh matrix serves as a mask to control the behaviour of the relaxation of ion positions. But how does this matrix affect the relaxation of the cell parameters for the 'vc-relax' mode ?

One more related question : is there a setting for the relaxation "all but cell parameter c" with 'vc-relax' in the 2D case? I mean, can I set a mode in which all parameters can change but the cell parameter c is fixed (which is usually set to a large value)?

Thank you very much for any hints !

Best regards,

Yunlong LIAN

ORCID : https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9474-2181