[QE-users] Time difference between PBE and PBE0 - PBE0 too long (not finishing) ...

pboulet pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr
Sun Nov 22 16:07:43 CET 2020

Hello,

As I understand from my small experience, PBE0 (or hybrids in general) is not just a question of time but also of memory. So it is better to run these calculations on supercomputers.
From PBE to PBE0 requires 10 to 1000 times more CPU depending on the system. If for a given system you can use 250 k-points for a SCF calculation with a GGA, you will be limited to say 30-50 k-points (perhaps even less) with a hybrid.

If I am correct and if possible for you, I suggest you use the hybrid HSE functional, which is based on the range-separated Exx potential evaluation, as this may save you a lot of CPU time (I am not sure for the memory usage).

Best,
Pascal Boulet
—
Professor in computational materials - DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
University of Aix-Marseille - Avenue Escadrille Normandie Niemen - F-13013 Marseille - FRANCE
Tél: +33(0)4 13 55 18 10 - Fax : +33(0)4 13 55 18 50
Email : pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr <mailto:pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr>