[QE-users] CASTEP to QE setup parameters conversions

Andrii Shyichuk andrii.shyichuk at chem.uni.wroc.pl
Tue Nov 17 12:19:15 CET 2020

Hear Mihal,

 From my experience with CASTEP, it's defining difference are the
pseudopotentials.
Thus, if you want to replicate a CASTEP calculation - use the CASTEP
UPFs as well.
Even on-the-fly runs create UPFs in the project folder (at least via
Materials Studio).

However, I am not a fan of that potentials, and I have my reasons.
I was doing a fairly similar calculation with both CASTEP and QE (manual
finite displacement force estimation).
With CASTEP, I was getting some weird differences in energies where
there should have been none.
With QE, there was no such problem.

Just for a general impression, compare default cutoffs for lanthanides
with 4f as valence electrons:
in CASTEP, its 340 eV; in PSLibrary, it's about 1500 eV.
So, either CASTEP authors found a way to reproduce the fine structure of
4f orbitals with fewer plane waves, or their potentials are, well, not
quite good.
I am not trying to hurt anyone, but this particular aspect is
suspicious.
Not sure if that transfers to other elements as well.

Best regards.
Andrii Shyichuk, University of Wrocław.