[QE-users] Dangling bonds with CdS

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Thu Nov 12 18:48:30 CET 2020

Dear Kumar
There is some sort of misunderstanding here. If you remove one (S or
Cd) atom, you create a (S or Cd) vacancy, which is a point defect and
is not generally referred to as "dangling bond", even if its formation
may involve the creation of internal dangling bonds. First of all you
should use a supercell (I would say at least a 2x2x2 64-atom
supercell) to investigate the properties of a vacancy, because in a
1x1x1 simple cubic cell you would have an unphysical 25% concentration
of vacancies. You don't need to have particular care in the simulation
(e.g. use of different pseudopotentials), but try to compare results
obtained by relaxing the fully symmetric system and a less symmetric
system obtained by very small (0.01 A) and randomized displacements of
atoms in the supercell (by hand or by using some tool such as atomsk).
Generally the latter starting configuration ensures the possibility
that the vacancy site relaxes its geometry along less symmetric (and
sometimes more stable) paths.
HTH
Giuseppe