[QE-users] Dangling bonds with CdS

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Thu Nov 12 16:23:15 CET 2020

Dear Tamas and Kumar
only to add a few words to the (very pertinent) Tamas' reply:
1) Semiconductor surfaces can undergoes very complex reconstruction
patterns (the 7x7 Si(111) reconstruction being likely the most famous
case). You will not find complex reconstructions by simply cutting and
relaxing the slabs, and it is best to search in experimental
literature, in order not to waste time simulating unphysical systems
which are never going to converge.

2) Dangling bonds can be also created inside crystals (e.g, by atomic
vacancies). It is not clear what kind of dangling bond you are
referring to.

3) There is an additional problem when you want to simulate some
process happening on the surface (e.g., adsorptions of molecules).
Various strategies can be used, including the saturation of dangling
bonds on one side of the slab by "pseudohydrogen atoms" having
fractional charge mimicking that of the pristine bond broken by
cleavage.

This said, you should "make an educated guess" [cit. John Malkovich
:-)] and ask less general questions which may (or may not) generate
more useful answers.

HTH
Giuseppe